on February 24, 2016
We’ve dug up all the information we could about The Hartford auto insurance so you’ll know everything about it before you decide whether or not to buy coverage from them. We are not affiliated with The Hartford, the 11th most popular car insurance company in the country, so you can trust that this review is based solely on what the facts tell us.
What Do You Want to Know More About?
- The Pros And Cons of The Hartford Auto Insurance
- If The Hartford Offers Coverage Near You
- The Hartford’s Annual Costs
- How The Hartford Ranks In The Industry
- What Customers Think About The Hartford
- Our Favorite The Hartford Features
- Our Recommendation For You
What are the pros?
- A no-drop promise guarantees you’ll keep your coverage regardless of accidents and infractions (unless you get a DUI).
- Rate Lock. You can get up to a 12-month rate lock for your policy—so your premium won’t spike out of the blue.
- One Deductible For Multi-Car Policies. If you have multiple cars on your policy and more than one gets in an accident during the same policy agreement, you’ll only pay one deductible.
- TrueLane is a device that gives drivers six months to prove they are safe on the road/ If you are, you can save up to 25% on your premium. A lot of other companies make you keep these kind of monitoring devices indefinitely, so it’s nice that The Hartford only requires six months of surveyed driving until you can remove and return it to them.
What are the cons?
It doesn’t provide auto coverage in all states.
Where does The Hartford sell insurance products?
The Hartford offers auto insurance policies as well as renters insurance and homeowners insurance in 47 states across the US and Washington D.C.; the auto insurance program is not currently available in Alaska, Hawaii, or Massachusetts. Knowing how popular it is in your state, how the costs compare to others, and its customer satisfaction, can help you determine if it’s a good fit for you.
It also provides home insurance for those 50 and older through its partnership with AARP.
Where is The Hartford the most popular?
The amount of customers a company has compared to its competitors is called their “market share.” The Hartford (including AARP) has the highest market share in Vermont, where it insures 4.37% of all drivers. When it comes to sheer volume of policies, it sells the most policies in Florida, New York, and Washington. Here are the states where The Hartford ranks in the top 10:
|Rank||New Policies Written||Market Share Percent|
What are the annual costs?
We analyzed insurance rates from The Hartford and similar companies to help show how much you may pay based on your driver profile. According to our research, The Hartford is the cheapest company for drivers aged 18, when compared to rates from Amica Mutual, Farmers, Nationwide, and Travelers. These auto policies are also the second most affordable for drivers ages 25 and 35 when comparing rates from the same companies.
|18-Year Olds||25-Year Olds||35-Year Olds||60-Year Olds|
These rates are from state Department of Insurance’s and should only be used as a reference for what you may pay. Your rates will vary based on a number of additional factors, unique to you.
What auto insurance discounts does The Hartford offer?
Here are ways you may be able to save on The Hartford auto insurance:
- Multi-Policy Discount: up to 5% off on auto insurance
- Anti-Theft: up to 15% off
- Air Bag: up to 3% off; additional discounts may be available for other safety features
- Defensive Driver Education Discount: up to 5% off for three years
- Green Vehicle: up to 5% off
- Young Driver Training Discount: up to 10%
- Good Student Discount: up to 15% off
- TrueLane Discount: up to 10% off on each vehicle you enroll in this auto insurance program and up to 25% off based on safe driving; requires smartphone app for use
See all discounts available with The Hartford. You should also remember that the most effective way to find out about any additional discounts you may qualify for after you’re done comparing insurance quotes is to discuss your personal situation with an insurance agent, such as a homeowners discount.
What do insurance industry rankings show?
Judging a book by its cover doesn’t work, but basing our opinions on industry rankings sure does. Here are a couple top industry surveys below that show how The Hartford ranks amongst customers.
JD Power uses customer feedback to score companies based on a number of categories and produce a rating. They’re a trusted source in the industry and their vast data opens our eyes to the truths about companies. Here is how this insurance provider ranked in its 2015 studies:
What do customer reviews say?
“I enjoy The Hartford’s price, coverage and friendly help when I have questions.” – Glen W.
“I got in a small fender bender and the person I hit had to go the chiropractor and The Hartford tried so hard to get me to pay the bills.” – Cesare H.
What are our favorite features?
See what other benefits come with being a policyholder.
- Repair Assurance. If you get work done on your car from a shop that’s in The Hartford’s network, your insurance will cover those repairs for the entire time you own your car.
- Insurance calculator tool provides convenient and simple coverage suggestions.
- They will waive your collision deductible if you aren’t at-fault in an accident.
- Get a $100 credit toward your deductible if you need repairs and go to a shop within the insurer-designated network.
- A partnership with AARP allows auto insurance policyholders 50 and older to get highly customized auto insurance right down to the policy feature, allowing them to get the comprehensive coverage that they need without paying for coverage they won’t need.
What would we do if we were you?
We’re not you, so we can’t tell you what to do. The best advice we can give is to make the best decision for yourself. Based on our findings, this is the group that The Hartford serves best:
The Hartford auto insurance is best-suited for older drivers.
Although The Hartford auto insurance offers coverage for all ages, its exclusive partnership with AARP is specifically tailored to drivers 50 and older. While a bit more expensive, its coverage options and benefits make up for it for the more mature and stable driver.
Who is The Hartford?
The Hartford is a 200-year old company that has built its business on connecting empathetic and talented professionals with customers. With a focus on building strong relationships, The Hartford offers its customers dependable service they can count on when they need it most.
Still pondering which insurance company is right for you after reading this insurance review?
Take a look at other insurance options until you find the best fit for auto insurance coverage.